The following 21 point self-publishing checklist will help you organize your self-publishing project.
- Proofread entire manuscript and all other created content.
- Develop interior graphic design and page layout.
- Identify short list of potential reviewers and testimonial providers.
- Create 1-3 chapter digital. Send to reviewers and testimonial providers.
- Obtain book reviews and testimonials to be used for promotion and back cover copy.
- Create "front matter" pages (i.e. title page, copyright page, table of contents, testimonial page, dedication page, acknowledgement page, etc.).
- Design front and back cover, and create back cover copy.
- Obtain and assign ISBN.
- Create a trade-ready EAN Bookland Barcode for back cover.
- Register book with Books-in-Print.
- Obtain copyright registration.
- Select a book manufacturer to complete all book printing and binding requirements.
- Create and proof digital galley.
- Create and proof print galley (optional).
- Determine quantity for initial run (include initial sales projection and promotional copies).
- Select book launch date.
- Identify who will be Master Distributor and what those duties will include.
- Identify relevant book award contests that could be applied for.
- Identify/schedule book signings, public speaking engagements and other promotional activities.
- Determine what advertising and PR support will be needed and who will provide those services.
- Determine who will manage book inventory, order processing, and order fulfillment and what those services will consist of.