How does our order and file uploading process work?
(Produced by video production students at St. John Fisher College)
If you are a first-time Book1One customer or if it has been a while since you last placed an order with us, and you plan to place an order by uploading PDF files to us, please take a moment to read this page. It will give you a great overview of how our order and file uploading process works and may answer many questions you may have. This information does not, however, pertain to orders placed using Book1One's photo book software. For those users, the order process is built into the software program.
If you have already read this information and wish to place your order, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the red “Place Your Order” button.
Regarding Book1One’s order and file uploading process, there are five things we want you to be aware of:
- Book1One works exclusively with print-ready PDF files, so you will need to convert your book files to PDF format prior to beginning the file uploading process. Using PDF files ensure that your files will not be altered during the upload, and that we print exactly what is in your file.
- If you are using Microsoft Word to create your files, please review the document here on how to properly create press-ready PDF files.
- Be prepared to make payment for your order by credit card in the “check out” portion of the process. Please note that a “hold” amount will be placed on your credit card account at the time of order, but your account will not actually be charged until your books are printed, bound and shipped. You may notice that the hold amount is 10% more than the amount of order. This is to accommodate any minor after-order changes you may need to make (such as change shipping address, etc.) and eliminate the need to resubmit your credit card information. If no changes are made, the 10% will be removed.
- Book1One offers a tool to help you correctly size your hard or soft cover and your dust jacket (if you have one). On our hard cover and soft cover binding pages as well as in our web page footer and many of our webpages, listed under “Book Cover Sizing Diagrams,” you will find links to diagrams that will help you correctly size your book cover or dust jacket. These measurements should be used when you design your covers. Plastic coil or saddle stitch books do not require cover sizing diagrams.
- Book1One has a website calculator that will enable you to obtain an instant and accurate price quote for your book project. You will find a link on our home page as well as a red “Get an Instant Price Quote” button on many of our web pages. We are one of the few book printers that have such a calculator on our website – a feature that eliminates the inconvenience and time of having to call us or submit an email to obtain a price quote.
Although it is not necessary, we do recommend you complete the order requirements and file uploading in one session as opposed to starting the process, stopping, and finishing the process at a later date.
Placing an order is an easy three-step process.
Step 1: Creating your account
To begin the process, you will need to click on the “Place Your Order” button located on our home page, at the bottom of this page, or on many of our other web pages. Step 1 involves creating your own password protected account – providing information such as your name, address, email address, etc. You will be asked to create a personal username and password. If you wish, you can save your book files in your account when you upload them, so that you can easily access them if you anticipate placing repeat orders using the same files.
Step 2: Uploading your PDF files
Step 2 involves uploading your files and explaining your book project’s specifications to us, using either a 1-file or 2-file process.
For hard cover, soft cover and plastic coil books, a 2-file uploading process is used, and requires you to upload your cover file and text file separately. You will be asked to upload your cover file first in the cover section and then complete the dropdown menu information that relates to your cover. If you have created a dust jacket PDF file, you should upload this file directly after you have uploaded your cover file in the cover file section. Once you have completed the cover file section you will be returned to the text section, where you will be asked to upload your text file and complete the dropdown menu information that relates to your book's text or pages.
Please be aware that the most common mistake made when uploading files in a 2-file uploading process is uploading both the cover file and text file in the cover section, and then uploading the text file a second time in the text section. Doing this will overstate the price of your book project. Please make sure that you upload only your cover file in the cover section.
For saddle stitch books, you can use either a 1-file or 2-file uploading process. If you use the 1-file process, the first page of your file will be your outside front cover, and the last page will be your outside back cover.
You will find easy-to-understand instructions accompanying each of the uploading screens you encounter. If you have color pages in your book, when you upload your text file be prepared to list in the special instructions the page numbers in your PDF file which you want printed in color. See example.
Once you have uploaded your files, you can proceed to the third and final step to complete the checkout process.
Step 3: Checking out
Prior to checking out, you will have an opportunity to review the specifications you have designated in your book order including your product’s description, the quantity you are ordering, any special additions you have made (such as ordering a proof or rush production), and the price. During checkout, you can change your shipping address, or set up multiple shipping addresses if you wish, as well as confirm the shipping option you wish to use. The shipping charge will then be calculated and added to your total.
You will then be asked to insert your credit card information.
Prior to completing the check out, you will have an opportunity to review, one final time, the specifics of your order. Once you have placed your order, you will receive an email acknowledging that your order has been received by Book1One, an order number you can reference should you have any post order questions, and a scheduled shipping date.
Once your books are printed and shipped, you will receive a second email providing you with a tracking number so that you can monitor your shipment in transit.
Placing an order and uploading your files is just that easy at Book1One.
We invite you to review our Frequently Asked Questions. Here you will find additional valuable information about our services.
Should you have any questions, you can reach us by email at helpdesk@Book1One.com. And if you need to speak to a real person, call us at 1-585-458-2101.
To return to our home page, click on Book1One home page.
To place your order, click on the red “Place Your Order” button below.
PLACE YOUR ORDER
Thank you for choosing Book1One as your book printing resource.